As steel plate distributors in Houston, TX, we commonly inventory the following grades of steel plate:
- A516-70 (As-rolled & Normalized)
- API-2H Grade 50
- API-2W Grade 50
- ABS / ASTM A131 AH / DH / EH36
- A537 Class 1
- A514 (T-1)
Other grades may be available or can be sourced upon request.
- Available plate thicknesses, widths and lengths vary based on material grade. Cyclone normally stocks 10-Ga (.1345”) to 14” thicknesses, widths up to 120” and lengths up to 480”. Widths up to 150” are available on request. We cut 145” wide plate several times a year for one client. Thicker and longer plates are available on request.
We do not stock stainless grades, but sometimes supply stainless depending on specific order requirements. Please contact Cyclone to discuss requirements for stainless or other grades not listed above.
- The answer to this question varies somewhat from job to job based on plate thickness, cut length and component shape. Normal burn tolerance is +/- 1/8” but some smaller, thinner parts can be cut to a tolerance of +/- 1/16”. Please contact us if you have particular tolerance questions related to your order.
- We can cut the maximum plate thickness available (typically around 14”) and our shop has shape-cut 36” thick forgings on our oxy-fuel machines.
- In Cyclone Steel’s operation, oxy-fuel is generally used to cut thicker plates (3/4”+), and when we can take advantage of our multi-torch machines to simultaneously cut up to eight parts having the same shape. Plasma cutting is generally more efficient when cutting thinner plates of 1” or less. This machine has a much faster cutting head as compared to the oxy-fuel machine and requires minimal edge cleanup.
- Yes, we utilize a high-definition, CNC controlled plasma cutter that can produce complex bevels at the same time we are cutting the general shape, saving costs during the overall process.
- Lead-time for a routine order would typically be 3-4 days. However, this varies with a number of factors including order size, material required, part complexity and shop load, to mention a few. Orders requiring secondary services after burning may require additional time. Lead times are provided with all quotations. Please advise us if a rush delivery is required and we can usually accommodate, often on the same day.
- Cyclone routinely provides various types of early-stage processing including but not limited to machined plate components, rolling and forming cylinders, steel cones and other 3D shapes, machining, water jet cutting, laser cutting, punching, grinding, cylinder welding, heat treating, coating and testing.
- Cyclone performs our own rolling up to certain dimensional limits, and provides in-house ASME or AWS welding of in-shop or outside rolled cylinders with few size limitations. We also have two vertical machining centers that routinely do drilling, tapping and other millwork on small to medium sized parts. Other services are provided through historically proven subcontract partners who are managed via our quality control system.
- Dimensional limitations vary with material grade, plate thickness, inside cylinder diameter and cylinder length. Depending on the combination of these factors, Cyclone can roll cylinders from 3/8”-1.25” thick, 24”-168” inside diameter and up to 10’ length. We regularly supply cylinders of greater thickness (up to 4”) with similar overall dimensions via our subcontract partners.
- A number of our steel plate fabrication customers require a limited amount of welding on discrete components such as long seam or girth welding of cylinders. Cyclone performs in-house AWS and ASME-certified long seam and girth welding on in-shop or outside rolled cylinders with few size limitations. We utilize proven subcontract partners in the area for sizes exceeding our equipment capacity.
- As a carbon steel plate supplier in Houston, TX, Cyclone supplies turnkey parts for a number of major fabricators and capital equipment manufacturers. We start with plate, forgings or other raw material forms and fabricate a finished part to specifications and drawings utilizing processes including but not limited to: rough-cutting, heat treating, forming, discrete part welding, simple or complex machining, coating and a variety of NDE procedures.
- We do not perform engineering work, but regularly fabricate product in compliance with our customers’ detailed engineering specifications and drawings. We also have two degreed engineers on our management team.
- Since we are not an engineering firm and normally have limited information regarding our product’s end use, we cannot specify materials for particular applications. However, we have years of experience as a steel plate service center and understand details such as material grades, their mechanical properties, certification agencies, interchangeability, supplement levels, and NDE requirements. As an experienced steel plate supplier, we can often help our customers’ engineering, procurement or project personnel understand material options.
- Yes, our Inside Sales team is experienced at verifying requirements in specifications, interpreting machine drawings and generating material takeoffs from multi-page fabrication plans.
- Cyclone works periodically with third party certification agents such as ABS, DNV or Bureau Veritas when material and process certifications are required and can manage this activity when requested.
- Yes, we can organize expedited deliveries if required by the customer. The cost of this service is dependent on the particular circumstances of the order.
- Cyclone operates its business in accordance with a comprehensive Quality Management System patterned after ISO 9000 quality requirements and containing key elements such as a quality manual, operating procedures, work instructions, performance measurement systems, document controls and other components. This system ensures that every piece of material we use is fully traceable and that our customers receive a quality product complying with all requirements.
- Cyclone is based in Houston, Texas, so we ship much of our product to customers in Texas and surrounding states. However, we have shipped to numerous other U.S. locations from coast to coast with this alternative subject only to freight cost considerations.